Friday, January 1, 2010

Eau De New Year ~ The Essence of 2010



Selecting the first scent of the year is in my opinion, a very profound decision.
Therefore, it is never a choice that I make lightly. After all, the perfume that I choose to inhale on my very first breath of the New Year is forever going to remind me of this particular day and who I dreamed of being in the year to come... And on this New Year, my perfume of choice is also the first scent of a new decade, which makes the decision even more lofty than usual.

So who is this fantasy person that I would have myself become in 2010 and beyond? The first thought that comes to mind is that "she" is Joyful... I would also love to be enchanting,mysterious,feminine, playful, and carefree(I can dream can't I?)! As I conjure up adjectives that describe my dream of self for the year to come, one scent drifts very clearly into focus - ABSINTHIA!




ABSINTHIA
is the perfect scent for celebrations! One spritz and I am ready to enchant and be enchanted. It's likewrapping myself in a green velvet cloak as I venture off into the wild night. Whenever I wear ABSINTHIA, I find that I am in a similar mood to the bygone times when I would reach for one of my all time favorite fragrant friends,YSL PARIS. The key notes are very different from ABSINTHIA, but the powdery,romantic,feminine feel is quite similar.





PARIS the Perfume, is named after Yves-Saint-Laurent's beloved French city. It was created by Perfumer Sophia Grojsman,and was intended to be a tribute to Parisian women who are known for their elegant romantic style and their eternal sophisticated charm. It is a heavenly woody-floral scent with key notes of Rose, Violet, & Bergamot finishing with a soft, warm Sandalwood dry-down.

What beautiful memories this scent triggers! This was the scent that I was wearing when I was a "PYT" living a dream life as a fashion model in Paris. One whiff and I am instantly transported back to those magical times of dancing all night at the Bain Douche(AKA "Les Bains"),leaving the club at Sunrise and walking though the streets in a somnambulist's stupor...

As Hemingway said, "If you are lucky enough to have lived in Paris (as a young man),then wherever you go for the rest of your life it stays with you, for Paris is a movable feast."




FIRST SCENT OF 2010: ABSINTHIA
KEY NOTES: Wisteria,Sugar,Vanilla,Absinthe(Wormwood)



TASTY TID-BIT: (Per Wikipedia)

"Absinthe is historically described as a distilled, highly alcoholic (45%–74% ABV) beverage. It is an anise-flavoured spirit derived from herbs, including the flowers and leaves of the herb Artemisia absinthium, commonly referred to as "grande wormwood". Absinthe traditionally has a natural green colour but can also be colourless. It is commonly referred to in historical literature as "la fée verte" (the Green Fairy).

Although it is sometimes mistakenly called a liqueur, absinthe is not bottled with added sugar and is therefore classified as a spirit. Absinthe is unusual among spirits in that it is bottled at a very high proof but is normally diluted with water when consumed.

Absinthe originated in the canton of Neuchâtel in Switzerland. It achieved great popularity as an alcoholic drink in late 19th- and early 20th-century France, particularly among Parisian artists and writers. Due in part to its association with bohemian culture,absinthe was opposed by social conservatives and prohibitionists. Charles Baudelaire, Paul Verlaine, Arthur Rimbaud, Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec, Amedeo Modigliani, Vincent van Gogh, Oscar Wilde, Aleister Crowley, and Alfred Jarry were all notorious 'bad men' of that day who were (or were thought to be) devotees of the Green Fairy.

Absinthe has been portrayed as a dangerously addictive psychoactive drug. The chemical thujone, present in small quantities, was singled out and blamed for its alleged harmful effects. By 1915, absinthe had been banned in the United States and in most European countries except the United Kingdom, Sweden, Spain, Portugal, Denmark and the Austro-Hungarian Empire. Although absinthe was vilified, no evidence has shown it to be any more dangerous than ordinary spirits. Its psychoactive properties, apart from those of alcohol, have been much exaggerated.

A revival of absinthe began in the 1990s, when countries in the European Union began to reauthorize its manufacture and sale. As of February 2008, nearly 200 brands of absinthe were being produced in a dozen countries, most notably in France, Switzerland, Spain, and the Czech Republic. Commercial distillation of absinthe in the United States resumed in 2007."

No comments: